Archive for ‘synology’ Category
Browse:
synology »
Subcategories:

Synology NAS and those pesky @eaDir folders

datePosted on 20:22, March 8th, 2012 by Many Ayromlou

If you’ve enabled MediaServer and/or PhotoStation on your Synology NAS you might have noticed a bunch of “@eaDir” folders inside your data folders. You will not normally see this under samba or appletalk connections. I noticed it since I was trying to rsync from synology to a old qnap nas I have lying around. Although you can turn these services off from the Control Panel, it does not get rid of these dumb folders. So here is a quick script to clean all the “@eaDir” folders up from your synology disk. NOTE: I’VE INTENTIONALLY NOT USED THE “rm -rf” COMMAND HERE. I DON’T WANT YOU TO DESTROY YOUR NAS SERVER WITH JUST ONE COMMAND. Run the command below and it will “echo” the names of these “@eaDir” folders to the terminal. Then once you’re satistied that it’s working well (no weird filenames/characters/etc.), then replace the “echo” with “rm -rf” to actually remove those folders. There is no guarantee that this will work for you, DO NOT USE THIS IF YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE COMMAND DOES. THIS CAN HARM YOUR FILES.

find . -name "@eaDir" -type d -print |while read FILENAME; do echo "${FILENAME}"; done

Make sure you login via ssh first and “cd” to where your files are stored. This command starts looking for “@eaDir” folders recursively from the current directory.

Synology DSM3.2 and older rsync implementations….

datePosted on 15:38, January 25th, 2012 by Many Ayromlou

Got my hands on a new Synology 1511+ a few days ago and discovered something odd. Where as before on the QNAP TS-409 Pro I could easily turn on the rsync server and start syncing files/folders off my OSX machine, the process did not work with the new Synology NAS running DSM3.2. I kept getting the error “@ERROR: auth failed on module NetBackup”. It turns out DSM3.2 is now using encrypted passwords for the root/admin account and this encryption breaks the older rsync version on the mac. The easiest way I found to fix this — and YES I realize that this “potentially” reveals the root/admin password if your NAS is wide open to the world, mine is at home behind a NAT and I made sure the rsync password is different from my admin password — is to edit the /etc/rsyncd.secrets file (back it up first by copying it to rsyncd.secrets.old or something). Delete everything after “root:” and instead of it, put — in clear text — the password you want to use for rsync purposes (which can be the same as your admin password). Save the file and try rsyncing again. It should work now.